Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Finer Things of Haiti


One of my favorite things so far about staying long-term in Haiti have been the various trips we’ve made outside of the HOM compound. In the past, I had seen some of the different areas, but nothing quite like I’ve seen this time. There have been several instances where it seems we’ve left Haiti and traveled to a four star resort. This past week, we had 4 days with no teams here and were able to do some exploring. One night we went to a Lebanese restaurant called Magdoos… we had hummus and pita bread along with frozen mojitos and a Greek salad! The next day we went to a hotel called The Oasis and had a wonderful brunch with champagne. We went there to celebrate Mathanie’s graduation, but never quite made it into the actual ceremony.

Magdoos:

 The Oasis  Hotel:



Yesterday we went up the mountain to the Baptist Mission where we had lunch (grilled cheese, curly fries and soft serve ice cream) and then up to The Overlook where there is an incredible view of the Port Au Prince area. The temperatures drop as you go up the mountain and there is an incredible breeze! Also as you go up the mountain, the houses get a lot bigger and nicer and you can tell this is where a lot of the wealthier Haitians live. The contrast between where I stay and what it is like up the mountain is somewhat upsetting. But the more I think about it, that is very similar to how it is in the Dallas area. Just a reminder, there are people in need everywhere we go.

View from the Baptist Mission: 

 On our way up the mountain:

Seeing all of these amazing sights and the progress that has been made over the last 2 years has given me great hope. The Haitians are a strong and resilient people, and they are always working hard to better themselves and their country. At times during these little getaways, I am reminded of the poverty all around me and can’t help but feel a little guilty as I enjoy my meal in a nice (sometimes even air conditioned) restaurant.

On a side note, celebrating the 4th of July in Haiti made me think about how much I take for granted in the United States and how very fortunate we all are. I am so incredibly blessed and the longer I stay in Haiti, the more I realize I don’t deserve everything I have been given. But the Lord is a generous and loving God and to whom much is given, much is expected. I will try to serve and use my gifts to the best of my ability, knowing they are all given from God. I have been here over a month and have just 2 short weeks left. I don’t even want to think about leaving this amazing country and these gracious people who have been so welcoming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment